About Me

My photo
I love Jesus. I love my family. I love photography. I love books. I love thinking. Probably in that order. I have a wonderful husband, five beautiful daughters, a house, and a camera. I enjoy spending time talking to my husband, playing with my girls, redecorating my house and shooting things with my camera. In my spare time, I sleep.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Banana Poem

Since I feel I shouldn't go more than a couple of days without posting and I really can't think of anything to write about...I decided to post a random photo memory. I've been scanning a bunch of old photographs from my albums into my computer for usefulness & safe keeping. This particular photo was taken in 1994 when I was fourteen year old and is of my childhood best friend, Maria, holding a banana. But just not just ANY banana--this banana had a poem written on it.

She & I had hiked up one of the buttes that was near her home and there was a place at the top where people could leave comments. I decided to write a poem. When it was completed I wanted to bring a copy of the poem home with me but we didn't have any extra paper--all we had was our bag of snacks. Soooo...being the resourceful people that we are, we used what we had and wrote that poem on a banana! For those of you who are interested...the following is the poem that made its way to the world via that banana.
From the Mountain Top
(aka. 'The Banana Poem')


When up so high my mind so measures
How all our stuff, our earthly treasures
Are nothing like what God has made
Everything, that on earth he laid
The trees, the buttes, the sky so blue
Should mean so much to me and you
They are so lovely in their own way
I hope you realize that today
So stand up now and look around
Discover all that I've just found
How everything around this land
Was touched with love by God's great hand

by GKR-age 14

No comments: