About Me

My photo
I love Jesus. I love my family. I love photography. I love books. I love thinking. Probably in that order. I have a wonderful husband, five beautiful daughters, a house, and a camera. I enjoy spending time talking to my husband, playing with my girls, redecorating my house and shooting things with my camera. In my spare time, I sleep.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Blessings 'revealed by fire'

Last Sunday, Russ & I skipped church to rake & burn our yard. As I watched the pile burn I was reminded of the passage in 1 Corinthians 3 where it speaks of our works being judged by fire.


"If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (1 Corinthians 3:12-15 NIV)


As I watched how quickly the tumble weeds burned, how the grass clippings smoldered & how the rocks just turned black, I reflected on this passage and prayed that my spiritual works & life will be shown to be built with gold (which only becomes more brilliant when put through fire) and not straw (which quickly & completely disappears when exposed to flame.)

Well, yesterday in church I received additional blessing when I realized that our church had been studying that very passage last Sunday while I was home working in our yard analyzing whether I will receive a reward or suffer loss. How Divine that God would see fit to reach me with the lesson he wanted me to have whether I had chosen to go to church that morning or (as it turned out) not.

1 comment:

Shay said...

God always works in unbelievable ways doesn't he! It suprises me every time, but how it touches your heart when he does!